Saturday, June 22, 2013

Why I think Nas & J. Cole's dialogue is brilliant and necessary for Hip Hop

Listen: "Let Nas Down" - J. Cole | "Made Nas Proud" - Nas

I'm surprised I even have to explain this one. On a mainstream level this is the type of conversation between older and younger generations that we never see. In this case, younger generation (J. Cole), when felt dissed by older generation (Nas) instead of getting bitter takes it as advice to step his game up, and writes song with lyrics like "long live your idols, may they never be your rivals". Older generation (Nas) listens and gives younger generation recognition, personal stories and advice... all in the form of music. Take note world: if you want to give meaningful advice, give the same amount of recognition, and come from a personal place. These are the exact opposite of battle tracks (when does that ever happen in Hip Hop?) and a good example of what we need and hardly ever see in the mainstream: older and younger black men in dialogue instead of opposition. Personally, as an artist I felt dissed a lot more than I was supported by the older generation of artists in my time, and most of my peers share that experience... that in so many ways we raised ourselves. I think the little conversation happening in these 2 songs should be happening all the time... as it is i actually got emotional hearing Nas' response. And I still have it on repeat.

No comments: