Monday, July 22, 2013

Pieces of my last 2 weeks on camera: Debo Band x LoveCityLove x Octavia's Brood

On Friday I had the honor of opening up for my extended family, Debo Band at The Triple Door in Seattle. Scott Macklin was there to film some of the magic. Before the show started I said "it's not a Debo Band show if Bruck doesn't jump off the stage at some point and start dancing with people" before the show was over he did just sat, standing up and singing from the top of a table in the process. It's in the video. I love this group. I also got to go up to Vancouver over the weekend with them and sat in during their set at the Folk Festival, where we ran into another one of my favorite groups anywhere, Nomadic Massive! with special guest, our sister Sarah MK. Beautiful weekend.

Also here in Seattle, on Wednesdays there has been some unfiltered, unplugged improvised magic happening every week at LoveCityLove. Viliv Studios caught some of that magic along with conversations about what's happening in the city right now, featuring some of the Town's finest. (Sidenote: I was quoting Royal Alley-Barnes from Langston Hughes in the video.)

The Indiegogo campaign to publish Octavia's Brood: Science Fiction Stories From Social Justice Movements has been going great! We have 15 days left to reach all the stretch goals. My sister Walidah Imarisha and myself went to a park in Seattle that may be named in Octavia Butler's honor, just to envision that possibility, as a part of an ongoing video series her and Adrienne are doing with all the Octavia's Brood writers. Check all those videos out in the indiegogo gallery!

No comments: