Thursday, March 27, 2014

Gabriel Teodros & AirMe "Parable Of The Dragon"


Another Okayafrica premiere: "Parable Of The Dragon"
(you might see an exclusive there on okayafrica every week until the album drops!)

The album title Children Of The Dragon is a reference to mythology I first heard of in Haile Gerima's film Teza. I like using Audre Lorde's term "biomythography" when describing the album as a whole. 

This particular song is a parable told from the perspective of a dragon and a dragon slayer, with one of the same ideas I was speaking to in this TED Talk:

"Being a child of activists, an independent Hip Hop artist, a high school dropout that teaches high school, and someone that has been a part of more non-profit organizations than I care to mention... the feeling of having to fight with with your back against the wall is a very familiar place. When your in that place, it's easy to forget that nothing lasts forever, that change is inevitable, and that we can win. When you are so focused on the fight that it becomes a part of your identity, when you start defining yourself as a fighter, a warrior, a revolutionary... it's not far off to say the monsters you are fighting against have become a part of your identity too. So what happens when the monsters you were fighting against are no longer there? What happens win you win? Both in my life and in history I've seen people recreate the monsters they were always fighting against, because without them... who are we?"

Written by Gabriel Teodros. Produced by AirMe.
Mixed by AirMe, Gabriel Teodros & Dume41. Mastered by Dume41.

No comments: